CorrHealth is recruiting for a highly motivated Licenced Practical Nurse to work at the McKinley Country Detention Center in Gallup, NM
At CorrHealth we are committed to providing our inmate patients and the detention facilities which we serve with quality correctional healthcare programs and services and excellence in service and support. We proudly manage our medical, mental, ancillary healthcare programs and services under National Commission on Correctional Healthcare (NCCHC), American Correctional Association (ACA), state and federal standards, as well as community best practices. CorrHealth fully expects all team members to adhere to and support these practices and high standards of quality care.
A Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for assisting in the delivery of inmate care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Under the supervision of the RN(s), directs and guides inmate teaching and activities that commensurate with his/her education and demonstrated competencies.
Essential Job Duties:
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), assists in the assessment of the physical, psychological and social dimensions of inmates in the Health Care Unit and as necessary. in the housing units.
- Assists in planning an individual treatment program by using available resources in planning care and consults with RNs and other staff as appropriate while applying knowledge and resources in planning care and inmate teaching.
- Implements individualized treatment programs as directed by the Health Care Practitioner.
- Count controlled substances, syringes, needles, and sharps at the beginning of each shift with another staff member and sign count logs.
- Implements clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established policies, procedures, and protocols. Intervenes with proper safety techniques, procedures, and standard precautions.
- Implements medical plan through administering medications in accordance with Health Care Practitioner's orders and protocols:
- Administers medications according to proper techniques and procedures including IV therapy (when certified) and all other approved routes of administration.
- Uses pharmacy knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in the administration of medications.
- Implements medical plans through obtaining diagnostic tests in accordance with the provider’s orders and protocols:
- Obtains body fluid specimens and performs EKG's using proper techniques and procedures.
- Communicates information to ancillary departments using established referral process.
- Assists the provider in medical or minor surgical procedures as necessary and or requested to meet the individual needs of inmates.
- Assist in evaluations by obtaining objective and subjective data through sick calls or the booking process.
- Implement nutrition and therapeutic diet plan through proper techniques and procedures as ordered by the provider.
- Documents nursing encounters using SOAPE form of charting as required by policy and procedures.
- Triaging and assessing healthcare requests.
- Communicates information to nursing staff, physician, health care unity supervisory personnel and other staff as necessary.
- Respects the dignity and confidentiality of inmates.
- Attends mandatory staff meetings and training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Educational/Experience Requirements:
- Graduate from an accredited Licensed Practical Vocational Nurse (LVN/LPN) program and be currently licensed as a Practical Vocational Nurse (LVN) in the state of employment.
- Have and maintain current censure as a Licensed Practical / Licensed Vocational Nurse within the state. Must be able to obtain and maintain CPR certification.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background investigation by the company.
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test (as applicable)
- Must comply with all requirements of the company substance abuse policy.
- Must obtain and maintain security clearance with the client as a requisite for initial and/or continued employment.
- Must maintain all certifications, educational requirements, licensing, etc. for this position.
Must be able to perform all of the essential elements of the position with or without accommodation. This position routinely requires (but is not limited to) the following:
- Frequent walking throughout the site
- Walking up and down flights of stairs
- Pushing or pulling carts
- Routinely lift objects less than 20 pounds
- May lift up to 50 pounds periodically, but not every day
- Bending/stooping/reaching/climbing and/or crawling
- Speech recognition – the ability to identify and understand the speech of another person
- Speech clarity – the ability to speak clearly so that others can understand you
- Vision – the ability to see details at close range
- Written comprehension – the ability to read and understand information and ideas that are presented in writing
- Deductive reasoning – the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Occasional running when responding to emergencies
Work is performed inside a correctional facility. Employees are exposed to some level of risk and/or harm by inmates including exposure to bloodborne pathogens. Employee is expected to work in accordance with all security rules and regulations to minimize the risk of danger and/or harm to themselves or other employees
Job ID: 245951479